AN OPEN LETTER TO HON EMEKA IHEDIOHA - “LEADERSHIP BY EXAMPLE”
By Nathaniel I. NDIOKWERE
HON. EMEKA IHEDIOHA - Catholic, Anglican, Pentecostal or Atheist - Imolites do not care. PDP, APC, APGA, YPP, who cares? However, many will caution you to ‘distance’ yourself and government from Church Ministers. Hope you know that there are too many churches in Nigeria and that some of their Pastors are officially among the richest men and women in Africa and they own many private jets! To receive counsel or blessing from them, you do not need to visit their Adoration Centers, Huge Temples, Magnificent Churches and Cathedrals. There are ubiquitous ‘Reporters’, “Camera men and women”, even “Hidden Cameras” at every nook and cranny of Nigeria! And they ALL have access to the INTERNET!! Like a good practicing Christian, when you want to do ‘charity’, ‘let your left hand NOT know what the right does’’ (Matthew 6:5)
SIR IHEDIOHA! LEARN FROM HISTORY!
“Those who fail to learn from History are condemned to repeat it/Those who fail to remember the past are condemned to repeat it”. (George Santayana – 1905)
I am only repeating what all peace-loving Imolites are saying. It is time to plan and begin the massive work of REPARATION/RECONSTRUCTION in Imo State. Celebration of victory is over and there is no time to waste. The damages Rochas Okorocha inflicted on IMOLAND are innumerable.
Many Imolites, elders, villagers and men of God wished ROCHAS well, prayed, fasted, begged the Almighty God to help the presumed, expected “Igbo Messiah” who was to liberate IGBOLAND from the scorching bondage of poverty, underdevelopment, slavery and marginalization in which Igbos found themselves since the Civil War and after the days of SAMUEL MBAKWE! Many Imolites, including my humble self-named ROCHAS political agenda “A REVOLUTION………. Leadership by example!” IMOLITES. of all grades, including ORLU and IDEATOR ELDERS approached ROCHAS, even on their knees and begged him to ‘have mercy’ but the mighty Emperor, the Pharaoh of our times never listened, but rather hardened his heart!
“EMEKA REVOLUTION………. Leadership By Example”
The present writer produced a book – (American Edition and Nigerian Edition) titled “ROCHAS REVOLUTION – Leadership by example” (Cost: 1.2 Million Naira), persuading the Governor of Imo State to “Lead by Example” and never to abandon his people! The author demanded nothing from the Igbo political leader EXCEPT “GOOD GOVERNANCE!” The governor received the author he had never met in life in his office three times, and of course praised the author’s ‘boldness’ and ‘sincerity’. Though the author was warned seriously by friends who knew the Pharaoh. “You don’t know this man. He will shock you!” And all their predictions came to pass! Very sad!
The Emperor somewhere got disappointed when he sensed that the author did not see his ambition to clinch the “NIGERIAN PRESIDENCY” sometime in the future as realistic. A few lines of the book upset Rochas. He discarded 600 copies I sent to him free of charge and I, at last, decided to burn (set on fire) the rest 900 copies. He promised three times that the book would be launched at ABUJA and OWERRI and three times renegaded! Not One Kobo of appreciation to the author! What a human being! I was shocked me and my friends too, to the marrows.
THE STRAW THAT BROKE THE CAMEL’S BACK!
Here is “the straw that broke the camel's back", alluding to, describing the seemingly minor action that caused an unpredictably large and sudden reaction of the Emperor! Read slowly ………
“To our numerous friends who are not familiar with Imo state and Nigeria, it may be necessary to introduce the new Governor Rochas Anayo Okorocha to you………. He has been in the limelight of Nigerian politics since early 2007 when he contested for the presidency in 2007 but dropped out in the primaries. As a politician of an Igbo extraction, an ex-Biafran, coming from the secessionist region that fought Nigeria in the 1967-70 civil war, Rochas cannot clinch the highest political office in Nigeria, despite his popularity among other Nigerian ethnic groups, North, West and South of the nation”. The Governor, I was informed by his closest allies, was upset. Later I learnt he had his eyes on the highest political office in Nigeria and anyone challenging that ambition was a bitter enemy! WOW! MEA CULPA!
NOW, TO YOU HON. SIR EMEKA IHEDIOHA!
Sir Hon EMEKA IHEDIOHA, this write-up is an “Open Letter”. You may have to assure NDI IMO, NDIGBO that you love them and through your hard work, you will be returned UNOPPOSED after the first 4 years of your leadership as governor on Imo State! Detest everything “Rochas”. EMEKA! TAKE SERIOUS NOTE! GEE NTI!
1. Charity begins at home. If you provide good roads, electricity, potable water, job opportunities to your MBAISE people; that is no sin. It is part of good work and your people except it! Rochas provided NONE for his people of ORLU & IDEATOR, even no good road to his massive edifice at OGBOKO!
2. SIR IHEFIOHA! Your administration will be a colossal failure if you fail to RESURRECT the abandoned small- and large-scale industries in Imo State, in IGBOLAND – Palm Oil, Rice, Shoe, Cardboard, Poultry, Ceramic, etc. Uplift ABA and help make it a ‘little China’. Many young skilled Imolites are at ABA toiling day and night with no government support!
3. NDIGBO do not need NDIAWUSA to develop IGBOLAND and accommodate the rejected ‘returning Igbo Refugees’ from Lagos or ABUJA! Remember (A) “Mbakwe Imo Airport Project”. (B) “Mbakwe Amaraku Electricity/Power Project. (C) “Mbakwe Avutu Poultry Farm Project. (D) “Mbakwe Okigwe Ceramic Industry Project. “Mbakwe Solid Road Projects”. Mbakwe did not wait for Hausa-Fulani Cabal to begin ‘something’ in IGBOLAND!
4. NDIGBO do not need CHINESE, LEBANESE, INDIAN, MALAYSIAN, and KOREAN engineers and managers to head construction and reconstruction contracts and projects works in IGBOLAND! Where are the descendants of BIAFRAN engineers who proved to the outside world that NDIGBO could do better than the WHITE MAN?
5. “Transparency” is an important word in governance. Sir IHEDIOHA cannot spend public fund anyhow he wishes. The new governor of Imo State must DEMOLISH ALL the statues of the dead and living which Rochas molded in the capital city of Owerri. The Rochas Statue project is an eyesore, a nightmare, a disgrace that made Imo State a laughing stock of the Black World.
6. Imolites will like to see IHEDIOHA fighting CORRUPTION, in word and deed (never BUHARI Style). The new governor and his Cabinet MUST live by example. It will not be a SIN if they released little part of their salary to help the poor in IMOLAND!
7. The governor should be seen making serious efforts, paying the pensions of retired and working Imolites, no matter how small the state purse can accommodate. The jobless youths may not be ignored!
8. Sir IHEDIOHA may have to help to end “Party-Cross-Carpeting”, a tragedy that has rendered Igbo race practically irrelevant in Nigerian politics. It is time IGBO NATION formed ‘IGBO TRIBAL PARTY” until Nigeria is restructured.
9. Hon Emeka IHEDIOHA may not forget the great need for RESTRUCTURING the nation called Nigeria. Restructured Nigeria will no doubt push stranded Igbos in diaspora, including Lagos, Abuja and other Nigerian cities to begin ‘home-coming’. “Developed IGBOLAND” is synonymous with “BIAFRA”. The quest for BIAFRA is not a dream or fairy tale.
10. State of INSECURITY is a nightmare and no development can thrive in any such environment!
11. EDUCATION for Igbo Youths must receive proper attention it deserves in IGBOLAND.
12. Sir IHEDIOHA as Imo State Governor may not run the government of “FAMILIOCRACY” and “IBERIBERISM” (terms now found in Imo Dictionary) as Imolites now describe the ugly African Political Ideology founded on greed and insatiable quest for power.
13. The Administration of Sir IHEDIOHA would be a COLOSAL failure if “ROCHA’S ROAD PROJECT STYLE” is not completely reversed! (a) Crazy mud-block dualization of highways?? (b) 5-kilometer-good road that endures rain and sun for 10 years or more, OR 1000-kilometer-Road that withers after a month of completion!
14. Imolites are watching. The worst ‘sin’ of the new governor would be “to ‘compensate’ his friends, political allies or ‘sponsors’ with CONTRACT-PROJECTS – the Root of all Corruption and shabby projects in Nigeria! Imolites will like to see the GOVERNOR at construction sites, even for a period of 10 minutes! EFFICIENCY, SOLIDITY, HONESTY is the Watch Words.
“Huge Work” for Sir IHEDIOHA and IMO LAW MAKERS! No! The right approach for ALL IGBO GOVERNORS. IHEDIOHA must prove ‘He is the man of the people!’ He must carry everyone along, not even in the least the IMO YOUTHS, the leaders of tomorrow. (God bless you for your patience)